Share | 

FLYING SAUCER

Go down 
AuthorMessage
THE BLUE TURTLE
ADMIN
ADMIN

PostSubject: FLYING SAUCER   Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 am

WHEN WE HEAR THE TERM "FLYING SAUCER" OUR MINDS INSTANTANEOUSLY THINK OF UFO'S AND ALIENS FLITTING ABOUT ABOVE OUR HEADS IN NOTHING OTHER THAN SAUCER SHAPED FLYING APPARATUSES (DISCS). FOR NEARLY 50 YEARS THIS WAS THE COMMON DISCRIPTION GIVEN FOR A MAJORITY OF UFO'S.

BUT I WONDER IF SOCIETY'S DESCRITION OF WHAT THEY COIN UFO'S/FLYING SAUCERS HASNT BEEN TAINTED BY A MISINTERPRETATION OF WHAT WAS SAID BY KENNETH ARNOLD WHO WAS GIVEN CREDIT FOR COINING THE TERM. THOUGH HE NEVER SAID HE SAW "FLYING SAUCERS" IN THE SKIES ABOVE THE CASCADES. HE EVEN STATED AS SUCH.

HERE IS A PORTION OF A TRANSCRIPTED RECORDED TELEPHONE CONVERSATION BETWEEN EDWARD R MURROW(NEWS COMMENTATOR FROM THE 40' AND 50'S) AND KENNETH ARNOLD:

ARNOLD: That's right. Now of course some of the reports they did take from newspapers which did not quote me properly. Now, when I told the press, they misquoted me, and in the excitement of it all, one newspaper and another on got it as ensnarled up that nobody knew just exactly what they were talking about, I guess.

MURROW: Here's how the name "flying saucer" was born.

ARNOLD: These objects more or less fluttered like they were, oh, I'd say, boats on very rough water or very rough air of some type, and when I described how they flew, I said that they flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water. Most of the newspapers misunderstood and misquoted that too. They said that I said that they were saucer-like; I said that they flew in a saucer-like fashion.

MAKES ONE WONDER HOW MANY DESCRIPTIONS OF "UFOS" HENCE FORTH WERE TAINTED BY THAT MISQUOTE, FOR NEARLY ALL REPORTED UFOS ARE DESCRIBED AS BEING "CIRCULAR/DISC LIKE" IN SHAPE.....AT LEAST TIL THE 1990'S WHEN THE SHAPES OF UFOS WERE MORE OFTEN REPORTED TO BE THE OMINOUS BLACK TRIANGLES.

FLYING SAUCER
Page 1 of 1